Protocols for Tour Groups
The English Market is Ireland’s oldest indoor food market and has become increasingly popular as a visitor attraction in Cork City Centre. As a fresh food market, a heritage building, civic and meeting place, its unique offering and unmistakable atmosphere has made it world famous among customers and visitors alike and as a result is attracting a huge number of tourists.
With greater demand and footfall of tourists and groups visiting The English Market in the last few years and in response to a recent survey carried out among approximately 1,000 customers and tour groups, it is clear the problem of overcrowding and the potential for subsequent health and safety issues has become a major concern for everyone.
With this in mind it is now necessary to organise and structure how and when tours operate within the Market to ensure comfort for all who visit and work in the Market.
Our aim is to:
- Protect The English Market and all it has to offer as a working market and as a visitor attraction.
- Ensure the health and safety of all who visit and work in The English Market
- Minimise overcrowding to ensure a positive and quality experience for those who visit and shop in The English Market
- Enhance the flow of traffic within the Market
- Maintain an enjoyable regular customer experience
- Maintain close communication between The English Market, visiting tour companies and guides
- Enable tourists to experience the true English Market and all it has to offer including the unique atmosphere and trader rapport and interaction with customers
- Provide up-to-date and accurate information to all tours
With this in mind, from Wednesday 1st March 2017, the following new procedures will be introduced:
- Tour guides who wish to bring groups to The English Market must register on an annual basis with Market Management, and be approved to operate within the Market. A registration form is attached for your convenience here: Tour Group Registration Form
- All visiting tours must book in advance with Market Management and will be given an allocated time slot.
- Tour groups are restricted to a maximum of eight people at any time. Groups of all sizes are welcome, however to help deal with health and safety issues and the problem of overcrowding, groups in excess of eight people will be required to split into smaller groups as they move through the Market. As mentioned above each grouping will have to book in for a selected time slot
- School groups will also be required to book in advance and will be scheduled to visit on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays before 10.30am.
- Free information packs will be provided to all registered tour guides and operators.
We hope with these procedures in place we will be able to accommodate all visitors in a positive and more organised approach to ensure The English Market can continue to be protected and enjoyed as a working food market and a friendly and welcoming place for both visitors and customers.
We thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.
To register tour groups, or if you have any queries or questions, please contact Órla Lannin, English Market Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.