All-in-one Rich Sweet Pastry
8 oz plain flour
2 oz icing sugar
5 oz margarine
1 egg yolk )
1 tablespoon ice-cold water ) beaten together
½ teaspoon lemon juice )
Sieve the flour and icing sugar together. Place one-third of the flour mixture in a mixing bowl together with the margarine and beaten egg mixture. Cream with a fork until well mixed. Add remaining flour and sugar mixture and mix to a firm dough. Knead lightly until smooth. Place in a polythene bag and leave in fridge for at least one hour.
1 large lemon
8oz Cooking Apples peeled and chopped
4oz Mixed Peel
2oz Cherries (quartered)
4oz Brown Sugar
1/2 level tsp Mixed Spice
1/2 Level tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 level tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 level tsp Ground Ginger
4 tablespoons Brandy, Whiskey or Rum
- Have ready 2 x 1lb and 1 x 1/2 lb Jam Jars (sterilised)
- Wash lemon and grate it finely - then cut in half and squeeze the juice
- In a mixing bowl combine all the fruit, sugar and spices. Add the grated lemon rind and juice and mix well
- Melt the butter and pour over the mixed fruits, mix well, stir in the spirits
- Fill the jars. Cover as for jam.
- Leave for 2 weeks before using.