Braised Beef in Irish Stout
The best recipe available using beef and stout.
- 1kg (2 lbs) shoulder beef, cut into thin slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 250ml (½ pt) well reduced beef stock
- 125ml (¼ pt) stout
- Salt and black pepper
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 75g (3 oz) streaky bacon, diced
- 100g (4 oz) wild mushrooms, if available, sliced
- 50g (2 oz) small onions, peeled
- 25g (1 oz) flour
To Cook: Heat the oil in a large pan, brown the meat well. Remove to a pot. Next sauté half an onion, leeks, carrots and celery. Add to the meat plus the garlic. Pour in the stock and stout, season. Simmer gently for approx. 1 ½ hours. Remove the meat from the pot. Strain the liquid. Discard the vegetables.
Place the meat back in a clean pot, plus the liquid. Sauté the bacon, mushrooms and remaining onion in 25g (1 oz) of butter. Add to the pot. Reheat the lot. Blend the flour with remaining butter. Stir it into the sauce, stirring well. Taste for seasoning. Serve in a deep dish with buttery mash.